26/05/2014

Introduction

I have only recently become interested in the history of the potteries and also in china and pottery. This has led me to set up a facebook page, Pottery Posts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottery-Posts/273984152735642?ref=hl
and now also this blog. I am learning as I go along and have become fascinated in the history. I hope that you enjoy reading my blog too and that you also learn some new and fascinating facts. I will of course be adding new pictures and information whenever I have a spare half an hour, so keep calling back to visit my page please. 

I have found out that there are 6 towns of the City of Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire, where a lot of the pottery was made. The Staffordshire Potteries is a generic term for the industrial area made up of these 6 towns.

Booths Willow Pattern Plate

Stoke-on-Trent  is a city in Staffordshire, England.  
It has been formed by a federation of six separate towns and numerous villages in the early 20th century. The settlement from which the federated town (it was not a city until 1925) took its name was Stoke-upon-Trent, where the administration and chief mainline railway station were located. After the union, Hanley emerged as the primary commercial centre in the city, despite the efforts of its rival, Burslem. The three other component towns are TunstallLongton and Fenton.

No comments:

Post a Comment